1. Renaissance writers, musicians and artists believed that they were living in an age of rebirth. What new developments in art, architecture, philosophy and culture substantiate this belief?
2. Explain the rise of Realism in relation to the prevailing styles of Neoclassicism and Romanticism.
3. Compare the modern sculpture, Unique forms of Continuity in Space, by Umberto Boccioni to the Renaissance sculpture, David, by Michelangelo. What has changed about the representation of the human body in the modern age?
4. How did the invention of photography in the 19th century change painting techniques?
5. Compare and contrast the way Monet and Seurat painted the same scene La Grande Jatte. Why is Seurat not considered an Impressionist?